Friday, June 19, 2009

Hurray for rain! After ~30 beautiful, warm, sun-shiny days, the rain is back. My parched plants are happy and somehow, it just is nice to have a little drizzle. And despite the signs pointing toward "no" I am hoping to harvest at least one tomato from one of the 12 plants (11 still surviving) that I eagerly bought in May.

School is out and our entry-way is littered with the remnants of a very busy 2nd grade year for Megan. She's exhausted but is looking forward to a bit of a break. Sophia on the other hand keeps asking why she can't go to elementary school. Funny kids.

On the wine front, I toured a pretty cool wine shop in Redmond, World of Wines. One of their good customers filled in and gave me quite the tour and education on favorite wines. I do plan to stop back in for some of their tastings - they have quite an exhaustive schedule.
I was looking for a local source of my new favorite, Thurston Wolfe PGV - but haven't found it in stock anywhere in the area. I did try two wines recommended by World of Wines, a Pinot Grigio (don't recall the label, but was nothing spectacular in my opinion) and a very good Tempranillo.
  • ~$13 - Vilosell 2006 Segre Red Wine - Tempranillo blend from the region in Spain where Tempranillo originated. Yummy, spicy and very nice. The flavor really opens up if you warm it a little in your hand. Do be careful of the sediment in the last glass. It hides in the beautiful dark color of the wine. The wine bottle is cool too - the label is in Braille on the back!
The next few weeks are busy - will have to try and update the blog more frequently.
Father's Day will find us at the Washington Brewer's Festival at St. Edward's State Park - assuming the rain lets up. We traditionally spend one weekend day there - just hanging out with the kids, good friends and good beer.
The last weekend in June, we're heading up to Mount Baker Vineyards for another of their tasting dinners. Always a good time - though I always seem to spend more than we had budgeted. It's so hard when they offer such a good case discount and you can't find their wines at retail.
Then comes the 4th of July party - lots of planning, ideas and fun! Looking forward to it! Maybe a wine tasting or two; maybe a water rocket (or 13) project for the kids.
Ciao for now!

1 comment:

Lynda Willis said...

I discovered your blog about the European trip while searching the internet for information on shipping our RV to Europe, and I have really enjoyed sharing your fascinating travels during the last few evenings. I have loads of questions, but will limit myself to the most important one, which is about shipping our RV. We plan to return to the UK next year after 10 years here in San Diego. We thought we'd spend about 4-5 months traveling around the US and Canada before we go and then take the RV home with us. We don't want to ship it to Bremen, as you did, but wondered what the options are and we haven't been able to find out much from my searches online. So, what can you tell me about the actual shipping? Did you use a travel agent, or book direct with the shipping line? Which shipping line did you use? What other options were there, other than Maryland to Bremen? How long did the shipping take? And how mcuh did it cost? Can you recommend any resources where I can find more information?

Many thanks,

Lynda Willis
Lynda@JandLWillis.com