Sunday, October 7, 2012

Kid's Baking Club #1 - Cookies!

Session 1 of baking club was Saturday, 9/1

So much fun - and a little chaos too. I learned a lot today and will get better next time!

Session 1 focused on cookies! With 5 kids, plus me, we broke up into groups of 2 and each tackled a different recipe.

We kicked off talking about kitchen safety, budget considerations (we have $10 / mo to work with and already overspent!) and kitchen cleanliness.

Each group happily tackled their recipes - though I had to keep popping over to answer questions, meaning I was distracted from the batch of chocolate chip cookies that Sophia and I were making ... and, watched in horror as the butter melted when I dumped in the still warm walnuts ... quickly put it in the fridge to hopefully re-congeal in time to bake before session ended.... and after 30 minutes, as I was about to dump it into a pan for bar cookies because it was still goopy, realized we never added the flour! Problem solved... it rapidly formed up into delicious cookies!

Downtime needs to be planned ... as well as tastings... the kids could NOT wait to taste their goodies. I make them painstakingly wait until one batch of each recipe was done, and then they got to devour one cookie from each. Such happy noises coming from the living room along with the disappointed groans that they couldn't eat them all!! Post cookie indulge, they spent ample time on the trampoline while I finished baking the cookies and distributing on take-home plates. 

I did have them come through and clean up their mess ... so this time, had a clean kitchen by 5pm.  

 
Session 1 Recipes:
  • Chocolate Surprise (est. cost $3.59) - http://tinyurl.com/9769yqv
  • Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (est. cost $9.25) - http://tinyurl.com/9n5xvd8
  • Princess Cookies (est. cost $2.82) - http://tinyurl.com/9a2chzl
I probably learned as much (possibly more) than the kids.
 
Best!
Sherry

No comments: